Monday, March 15, 2010

Accident

On Saturday morning we had our family pictures taken by Haley Ann Warner. It was a mini shoot (20 minutes) and I can't wait to get our pictures back. It was kind of cold and Emmett didn't really show his personality :( I hope they turn out good. We ran some errands and then went home to hook up our new TV. Bret had moved the baby gate to the stairs since he was going to be going up and down a few times. I didn't know he moved the gate and I gave Emmett his walker to cruise around. I'm sure you can tell where this story is going. It makes my stomach sick to even think about it, let alone write it out. I was standing about 15 feet from Emmett and looked over and saw he was at the top of the stairs. It all happened so quickly as I ran and dove for my baby. He was already falling as I reached for his leg. I could hear Bret yell, "GRAB HIM". I did. I had his leg for a split second, but it slipped out of my hand. There I was at the top of my stairs watching my baby fall. I felt so helpless. I wanted so badly to get my body in front of his to stop him. I screamed as I ran down the stairs to get him. Bret somehow nearly beat me down the stairs! Luckily his body had turned and he basically rolled on his side down 1/2 of the stairs. 13 stairs :( I picked him up and he and I both cried. We carried him upstairs and looked over his body to make sure everything looked ok. We called an after hours Pediatricians office and they told me things to watch for, and if he acted strange to bring him in. He cried for a while but we finally got him calmed down. He had a little bloody nose and what looks like a future black eye. I feel like the worst mom in the world. How could we let this happen and be so careless. Needless to say Bret put locks on certain cabinets, and lowered the mattress in his crib to prevent any future accidents/hazards. I don't want to wait until another accident happens before we finish baby proofing our home. Emmett is fine and seems to be his happy self again. He was walking around and playing within the hour. I feel so lucky and blessed that nothing serious happened to him. I've been watching him like a hawk ever since! Here is a pic of the cute little guy after his accident. (cell phone picture=not a good picture)

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I am so sorry!!! Poor Yemmer! He's so fortunate he has 2 great parents!! Tell him 'WOOF' for me! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little guy! Don't be too hard on yourselves, though-- accidents happen! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is so scary I can't imagine how scared you were. I'm glad he is ok! I hope you guys are doing well, we can't wait to see you guys hopefully soon. We love ya! Give little Emmett a great big hug and kiss for me!

    ReplyDelete