Thursday, July 1, 2010

Happy 90th Birthday

June 28, 2010 was my grandma Bellrae's 90th birthday. Doesn't she look fabulous? We had a big party for her at the new Springville Civic Center. She never tells her age so it was quite a surprise for her friends to find out she turned 90. What a great accomplishment! My grandma is still very active and independant. She does more for us then we do for her. She has a very busy schedule with senior citizens, Presbyterian church, PW Women, hair appointments, yard work, sewing, cooking, cleaning, etc... She is a very hard worker and I'm sure that is where my mom gets it from. (I hope that quality continues down the line)

We've been planning her party for a few weeks and I didn't know it was going to have such a huge affect on me. It really put life into prospective, and reminded me about what is most important. First off, she had about 60 people RSVP...who has that many friends??? I can only think of a handful of people who I would invite to my 27th birthday. We had a catered dinner and birthday cake. Then my mom and Emily expressed a few memories and talents/traits of my grandma. Emily talked about how she wanted to play the piano when she was 6 years old. My parents couldn't afford lessons, and when she turned 8 my grandma sent a $25 check each month for 6 years to pay for Emily's piano lessons. I know it was a sacrafice for my grandma to make, but she loves us and wanted to help Emily develope her talents.

At the end we had a slide show of her life. I loved seeing her baby pictures, and the pictures of her with her 3 sisters. It reminded me of me and my sisters. My favorite picture was one of her holding my mom as a baby. I thought to myself, "That is me right now with my baby. Pictures of me with Emmett will hopefully be in my 90th birthday party slide show." I also loved seeing pictures of my grandpa John again. He wasn't my biological grandpa but he was the only grandpa I knew. I almost forgot what a good looking man he was.

Anyways, the party was a hit and I've been on a high about it for days now. Cody even said, "This is the best party I've ever been to". He's 6 years old :) My grandma was so happy and that is what makes me happy. We finally got to do something speical for her, which was long over due. I called her after the party and she said, "That was so much fun. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to sleep tonight."



I'm going to see if I can get a copy of some of the pictures from the slide show and I'll add them below.

3 comments:

  1. You guys have such a stellar family!!! I love the cuteness of your grandma. Life goes too fast and I need to remember these good times as well. You look cute in your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is 90??? Ha I had NO idea! I love your Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy, my Grandma always tells me when she sees you. She thinks you're so pretty.

    ReplyDelete